The Social Welfare Department, Government of Assam continuously strives to promote survival, protection, development, empowerment & participation of children in a holistic manner. As part of children Protection & Rehabilitation Services, the Department has established a network of Child Care Institutions (CCI) like children Homes, Observation Homes, Special Homes etc. in the state. The Department works towards the holistic growth of these CCIs so they can be easily absorbed in the mainstream society.
Some of the key objectives of the Social Welfare Department for ensuring Child Protection are :
- Care & Protection to deprived, destitute Orphan.
- Education & Vocational Training for the Rehabilitation of Children.
- Prevent Child Marriage & to prevent Child Trafficking.
- Generate Social Awareness for Children.
Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights
The Assam State Commission for Protection of Child Rights has been constituted under Section 17 of the Commissions for Protection of Child Rights Act, 2005 for protection, promotion, development, survival and participation of children.
The functions of the Commission are as follows:
- Examine and review the safeguards provided by or under any law for the time being in force for the protection of child rights and recommend measures for their effective implementation
- Inquire into violation of child rights and recommend initiation of proceedings in such cases
- Examine all factors that inhibit the enjoyment of rights of children affected by terrorism, communal violence, riot, natural disaster, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS, trafficking , maltreatment, torture and exploitation, pornography and prostitution and recommend appropriate remedial measures look into the matters relating to children in need of special care and protection including children in distress, marginalised and disadvantaged children, children in conflict with law, juveniles, children without family and children of prisoners and recommend appropriate remedial measures
- Inspect or cause to be inspected any juvenile custodial home, or any other place of residence or institution meant for children, under the control of the Central Government or any State Government or any other authority, including any institution run by a social organisation; where children are detained or lodged for purpose of treatment, reformation or protection and take up with these authorities for remedial action, if found necessary
What is the DCPU ?
District Child Protection Unit (DCPU) is the fundamental unit in the district for implementation of Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS) and is responsible to coordinate all Child Protection activities in the district. It is the Child Protection Unit for a District, established by the State Government , which is the focal point to ensure the implementation of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 and other child protection measures in the district.