Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities
The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 brought a new perspective to the rights of differently abled people. The Act brought forward Governmental, NGO as well as public participation to the developmental needs of the differently abled to a more cohesive sphere. The office of the State Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in Assam was established as per the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995. The office has been continuing under section 79 of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
Disability Acts & Policies
The following Acts deal with different form of disabilities and look into matters of management, supervision as well as duties and responsibilities of different authorities.
||Click to Download
|The Mental Health Act, 1987
|The Rehabilitation Council Act of India, 1992
|National Policy for Persons with Disabilities
|Guidelines and Space Standards for Barrier-Free Environment.
|United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
|The Rights of Persons With Disabilities Act, 2016
- Workshop on “Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities in North-East Region” held on 28th and 29th March, 2017 at IIBM, Khanapara, Guwahati
- Observation of World Disabled Day, 2016
- Initiatives taken as per PwD Act, 1995
- Reservation in Government posts at 3% done by State Government in 1996.
- Promotion to Grade-III from Grade-IV posts allowed for Persons with Disabilities.
- Identification of posts for Persons with Disabilities: 2765 nos. (OH: 1637 nos., VH: 190 nos., HH: 838 nos.)
- State Co-ordination Committee and State Executive Committee formed and held meetings as per Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995. State Advisory Board is being constituted under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
- Prevention and Early detection: Health Melas, Screening of age group of 6-14 years through NHM, SSA and Social Welfare Department for Visually and Hearing challenged persons Immunization, Leprosy eradication programme, Supplementary Nutrition programme, etc.
- Free education to 6-18 years, special schools, inclusive schools, free books, guidelines, regarding written examinations- extra time, amanuensis, curriculum adapted for visually impaired etc.
- Total children with disabilities: 81782 nos. (in schools: 77371 nos. and in special schools : 859 nos.)
- Government Special Schools: 4 nos.
- Barrier-Free School: 37571 Elementary (78.57%), 4292 Secondary (99.49%)
- Non Barrier-Free School: 10247 Elementary (21.43%), 22 Secondary (0.5 %)
- Inclusive Schools: 26686 nos. in elementary level
- Scholarship to School & Technical Education Students at Rs.200/- PM and at Rs. 3000/- PM respectively.
- Special Recruitment Drive in Government posts done in year 2005-06
- Special Employment Exchanges formed: 23 nos.
- Registered PwD’s in Special Employment Exchanges upto 2016: 25646 nos.
- Vocational Training Institutions receiving aid from Government
- Affirmative Action and Non-discrimination
- Special Aids and Appliances Distribution Camps organised at State Head Qtr in Association of Assam State Legal Services Authority with the help of BMVSS (Jaipur Foot) and ALIMCO.
- District wise camps organised with the help of ALIMCO. Aid and appliances worth 10.5 Crore had been distributed in the year 2017-18.
- 100% concession in State Busses for PwD’s.
- Two (2) seats reserved for PwD’s in Govt. vessels under Inland Water Transport Department of Assam.
- Access Audit of 25 Buildings done and 5 nos. of proposals sent for fund to Govt. of India with DPR.
- Director, Social Welfare Notified as Competent Authority under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
Initiative under Social Security
- Alphanumeric Survey of disabled population of the State as per PwD Act, 1995 for preparation of database by the Director, Social Welfare.
- As requested by the Government, Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University (KKHSOU) is going to run courses for special education. MoU signed between KKHSOU and Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) for 500 nos. of seats.
- Special Disability Camp in all over the State.
- Establishment of Higher Education Institute for mentally retarded children in 2017-18 is proposed.
- State own priority scheme Health Grant at Rs. 5000/- todisabled persons with a fund of 22500.00 L proposed in the year 2017-18.
World Disable Day, 2016
Office of the Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Assam in association with Directorate of Social Welfare organised “World Disable Day” on 3rd December, 2016 at Govt. BDS Deaf and Dumb School, Kahilipara. The programme was initiated with flag hoisting by Shri Deepak Kr. Choudhury, ACS, Addl. Director, Social Welfare, Assam. Large no. of students with disabilities of different schools from Kamrup(M) and Kamrup(R), teachers along with their parents participated in the celebration. Various activities such as Drawing Competition, Musical Chair, Music Competition, run for blind etc. was conducted during the day long programme.
To commemorate the occasion an open meeting was organised at the venue attended by Shri Ravi Capoor, IAS Addl. Chief Secretary to the Govt. of Assam as Chief Guest along with Shri N. Islam, IAS Secretary to the Govt. of Assam, Shri P. R. Gharphalia, ACS Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Assam, Shri Deepak Kr. Choudhury, ACS, Addl. Director, Social Welfare, Assam and Ms Swarnalata Pegu, Vice President, Assam Association of Deaf as well as students, teachers and public. In the end of the function a Prize distribution ceremony was also held.
Workshop on “Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities in North-East Region”
Ali Yavar Jung National Institute of Speech and Hearing Disabilities (Divyanjan), Mumbai an institute under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India had organized a National Workshop on “Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities in North-East Region” in collaboration with the office of the Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Assam and Shishu Sarothi, an NGO as local partner on 28th and 29th March, 2017 at Indian Institute of Bank Management (IIBM), Khanapara, Guwahati. Large number of participants from West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and North-Eastern states participated in the Workshop. Discussions on the present environment as well as recommendations for change in the related sphere were also taken during the workshop.
Contact Details of the Office of the Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities,
Shri Debeswar Borah, ACS
Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities, Assam
Latakata, Basistha, Guwahati – 781029
Phone No: 91-9476570329
Email : email@example.com