ASSAM STATE WOMEN COMMISSION
Statutory Functions of Assam State Women Commission are as follows:
- To investigate and examine all matters relating to the safeguards provided for women under the constitution and other laws.
- To present reports on working of the safeguards to the State Govt. annually as well as other times as the Commission may deem fit.
- To make reports, recommendations for effective implementation of the safeguards for improving the conditions of the women of the state.
- To review from time to time the existing provisions of the constitution and other laws, acts and recommend amendments thereof.
- To take up the cases of violation of the provisions of the constitution and other laws relating to women with the appropriate authorities.
- To look into complaints and take suo-moto notice of matters relating to deprivation of women’s rights, non-implementation of laws relating to protection of women, non-compliance of policy decisions, guidelines or instruction ensuring welfare and providing relief to women.
- To call for special studies or investigations into specific problems relating to women.
- To undertake promotional and educational research so as to suggest ways of ensuring due representation of women in all spheres and identify factors responsible for impeding their advancement.
- To purpose gender justice through intervention in case of violation of equality in laws, denial of opportunity and deprivation of women’s rights.
- To give counseling and assistance to women victims of atrocities and women in distress in the state.
- Inspect a jail or a remand home, Women’s institution or other place of custody where women are kept as prisoners or otherwise, and take up with the concerned authorities for remedial action, if found necessary.
- Fund litigation involving issues affecting a large body of women ; make periodical reports to the Government or any matter pertaining to women.
Address and Contact Details of State Resource Centre for Women
Chairperson Smt. Sikimiki Talukdar
Address : Near Netralay, opposite Lakhi Mandir, Beltola,
Guwahati : 781028
E-mail ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph. No: +91-361- 2220013/ 2220150